Galway Beat Kerry in Quarter Final Phase One

Thomas Flynn WEB

Tomas Flynn in Action

Damien Comer Web

Damien Comer in full flight

All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final (Phase 1)

GALWAY 1-13 KERRY 1-10

Galway rolled back the clock in Croke Park to defeat Kerry in the Super Eights phase 1 and claim their first win over the kingdom since in championship since 1965, the winners continued on from their League form and showed the same self –belief that brought the final, the game was not a classic by any means but in the end a victory was the goal and now its on to Newbridge next week and a game with Kildare who will be all fired up to gain two points if they are to stay in contention for honours.

The rain came to Croke Park and it was strange to have the lights on the game as the weather conditions made it difficult for the players with the pitch like a skating ring, Kerry opened the scoring when Kevin McCarthy pointed after three minutes, Ian Burke and Paul Conroy had the Galway’s opening points to put them ahead by the 18th minute. It would be Conroy’s only score of the game as he suffered a serious leg injury and we wish him a speedy recovery.

David Clifford had a side’s level two minutes later and they went one up when Shane Murphy popped over a 45 and Damien Comer then shot over the bar, with eight minutes injury added we had three late points Paul Geaney for Kerry and Shane Walsh and Ian Burke for the winners to give their side a one point lead at the break 0-6 to 0-5, in part two both sides upped a gear and after fifteen minutes it was a level ball game at eight points each, Walsh restored Galway’s lead with a well taken point and the Tribesmen began to grow in confidence and an excellent point from Declan Kyne showed that that belief, Adrian Varley not for the first time this year made a huge impact as a sub scoring two points and when another sub Patrick Sweeney scored a goal to give   Galway give a seven point lead but Kerry scored 1-1in the dying minutes to make it a three point win for the Tribesmen.

Galway scorers: Shane Walsh 0-5 (4f), Patrick Sweeney 1-0, Ian Burke 0-2, Adrian Varley 0-2, Damien Comer 0-1, Paul Conroy 0-1, Declan Kyne 0-1, Sean Kelly 0-1.

Kerry scorers: David Clifford 1-5 (1f), Paul Geaney 0-2, Kevin McCarthy 0-1, Stephen O’Brien 0-1, Shane Murphy 0-1 (’45)

GALWAY: Ruairi Lavelle; Declan Kyne, Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh, Eoghan Kerin; Cathal Sweeney, Gareth Bradshaw, Johnny Heaney; Paul Conroy, Thomas Flynn; Eamonn Brannigan, Michael Daly, Sean Kelly; Ian Burke, Damien comer, Shane Walsh. Subs: Peter Cooke for Paul Conroy (25), Adrian Varley for Michael Daly (55), Gary O’Donnell for Gareth Bradshaw (64), Patrick Sweeney for Damien Comer (65), Johnny Duane for Thomas Flynn (74), Frankie Burke for Ian Burke (76)

KERRY: Shane Murphy; Jason Foley, Peter Crowley, Brian Ó Beaglaoich; Paul Murphy, Killian Young, Gavin White; David Moran, Jack Barry; Kevin McCarthy, Seán Ó Shea, Stephen O’Brien; David Clifford, Paul Geaney, James O’Donoghue. Subs: Tom O’Sullivan for Brian Ó Beaglaoich (ht), Anthony Maher for Jack Barry (47), Micheál Burns for James O’Donoghue (52), Mark Griffin for Jason Foley (65), Donnchadh Walsh for Sean O’Shea (65), Barry John Keane for Kevin McCarthy (65)

Cathal Sweeney Web

Cathal Sweeney on the ball

Cul Camps 2018


When Corofin and Castlebar Mitchels clash out west drama is inevitable and this match dripped with intrigue.
On a grim, grey afternoon it was Corofin, who stayed the distance at Tuam Stadium securing a stirring win over a wonderfully spirited Castlebar Mitchels.
The Mayo standard bearers reeled off the last five points in normal time, but when the action resumed Corofin’s emerging talent delivered when it truly counted.
Ciaran Brady made a significant impact at centrefield helping to steer Corofin to another western title and a December 9 All Ireland Quarter-Final at McGovern Park against Fulham Irish.
Tight, tense, and tactical the opening period illustrated why these two clubs are serial winners in Galway and Mayo.
Both outfits were defending in diligent fashion, while they were careful with shot selection in attack too.
Ultimately, though, Corofin went in protecting a 2-4 to 1-3 advantage at the break as they responded impressively to the concession of an early goal.
That Mitchels major arrived in the third minute and it was all about the industry of Neil Douglas and Cian Costello, who released Aidan Walsh to palm a goal.
Corofin remained cool and plundered a 10th minute goal of their own when Liam Silke’s pass located Colin Brady and the Galway Under 21 player rattled the Castlebar net.
It remained hard fought with Corofin 1-4 to 1-3 ahead when a splendid quick free from the nimble Ian Burke was gathered by Micheal Lundy, who stayed cool to clip a goal.
After the restart Corofin nailed three of the first five points to edge 2-7 to 1-5 in front, but Castlebar finished with a flourish.
Five points on the spin in the closing stages from David Stenson (three) and Neil Douglas (two) to force extra-time.
Stenson curled over the leveller late on with Corofin’s resources stretched following the injury enforced departures of Kieran Fitzgerald, Ciaran McGrath, and Lundy.
Sice, Ronan Steede, and Jason Leonard contributed sweet points and Corofin squandered a goal chance when Justin Burke’s penalty was saved by Castlebar custodian Rory Byrne.
Stenson narrowed the gap to two, but in the second period Corofin dictated the tone with Sice, Barry O’Donovan, and Martin Farragher converting scores. It was a decisive burst and Kevin O’Brien’s team retained the Shane McGettigan Cup with equal measures of defiance and dynamism.
Final Score: COROFIN 2-13 CASTLEBAR MITCHELS 1-12 After Extra-Time
Scorers for Corofin: Jason Leonard 0-5 (3fs), Colin Brady 1-1, Micheal Lundy 1-0, Gary Sice 0-3 (2fs), Martin Farragher 0-2, Ronan Steede 0-1.
Scorers for Castlebar Mitchels: David Stenson 0-6 (4fs), Neil Douglas 0-5 (2fs), Aidan Walsh 1-0, Eoghan O’Reilly 0-1.
COROFIN: Bernard Power; Ciaran McGrath, Kieran Fitzgerald, Liam Silke; Kieran Molloy, Conor Cunningham, Dylan Wall; Michael Farragher, Ronan Steede; Micheal Lundy, Gary Sice, Jason Leonard; Ian Burke, Martin Farragher, Colin Brady.
Subs: Cathal Silke for Kieran Fitzgerald (21, blood), Daithi Burke for Colin Brady (53), Justin Burke for Martin Farragher (56), Dylan McHugh for Kieran Molloy (56), Barry O’Donovan for Micheal Lundy (60), Ciaran Brady for Dylan Wall (60), Kevin Murphy for Ciaran McGrath (60), Kieran Molloy for Conor Cunningham (72), Martin Farragher for Justin Burke (78).
CASTLEBAR MITCHELS: Rory Byrne; Donie Newcombe, Ger McDonagh, Ray O’Malley; Johnny Maughan, Eoghan O’Reilly, Paddy Durcan; Aidan Walsh, Barry Moran; Shane Hopkins, Danny Kirby, Cian Costello; James Durcan, Neil Douglas, David Stenson.
Subs: Shane Irwin for Johnny Maughan (34), Niall McCarney for Shane Hopkins (48), Mark Towey for Aidan Walsh (71), Matthew McCormack for Niall McCarney (77, BC).
REFEREE: Marty Duffy (Sligo)

Report by: Cian O'Connell