Galway Beat Kerry in Quarter Final Phase One

Thomas Flynn WEB

Tomas Flynn in Action

Damien Comer Web

Damien Comer in full flight

All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final (Phase 1)

GALWAY 1-13 KERRY 1-10

Galway rolled back the clock in Croke Park to defeat Kerry in the Super Eights phase 1 and claim their first win over the kingdom since in championship since 1965, the winners continued on from their League form and showed the same self –belief that brought the final, the game was not a classic by any means but in the end a victory was the goal and now its on to Newbridge next week and a game with Kildare who will be all fired up to gain two points if they are to stay in contention for honours.

The rain came to Croke Park and it was strange to have the lights on the game as the weather conditions made it difficult for the players with the pitch like a skating ring, Kerry opened the scoring when Kevin McCarthy pointed after three minutes, Ian Burke and Paul Conroy had the Galway’s opening points to put them ahead by the 18th minute. It would be Conroy’s only score of the game as he suffered a serious leg injury and we wish him a speedy recovery.

David Clifford had a side’s level two minutes later and they went one up when Shane Murphy popped over a 45 and Damien Comer then shot over the bar, with eight minutes injury added we had three late points Paul Geaney for Kerry and Shane Walsh and Ian Burke for the winners to give their side a one point lead at the break 0-6 to 0-5, in part two both sides upped a gear and after fifteen minutes it was a level ball game at eight points each, Walsh restored Galway’s lead with a well taken point and the Tribesmen began to grow in confidence and an excellent point from Declan Kyne showed that that belief, Adrian Varley not for the first time this year made a huge impact as a sub scoring two points and when another sub Patrick Sweeney scored a goal to give   Galway give a seven point lead but Kerry scored 1-1in the dying minutes to make it a three point win for the Tribesmen.

Galway scorers: Shane Walsh 0-5 (4f), Patrick Sweeney 1-0, Ian Burke 0-2, Adrian Varley 0-2, Damien Comer 0-1, Paul Conroy 0-1, Declan Kyne 0-1, Sean Kelly 0-1.

Kerry scorers: David Clifford 1-5 (1f), Paul Geaney 0-2, Kevin McCarthy 0-1, Stephen O’Brien 0-1, Shane Murphy 0-1 (’45)

GALWAY: Ruairi Lavelle; Declan Kyne, Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh, Eoghan Kerin; Cathal Sweeney, Gareth Bradshaw, Johnny Heaney; Paul Conroy, Thomas Flynn; Eamonn Brannigan, Michael Daly, Sean Kelly; Ian Burke, Damien comer, Shane Walsh. Subs: Peter Cooke for Paul Conroy (25), Adrian Varley for Michael Daly (55), Gary O’Donnell for Gareth Bradshaw (64), Patrick Sweeney for Damien Comer (65), Johnny Duane for Thomas Flynn (74), Frankie Burke for Ian Burke (76)

KERRY: Shane Murphy; Jason Foley, Peter Crowley, Brian Ó Beaglaoich; Paul Murphy, Killian Young, Gavin White; David Moran, Jack Barry; Kevin McCarthy, Seán Ó Shea, Stephen O’Brien; David Clifford, Paul Geaney, James O’Donoghue. Subs: Tom O’Sullivan for Brian Ó Beaglaoich (ht), Anthony Maher for Jack Barry (47), Micheál Burns for James O’Donoghue (52), Mark Griffin for Jason Foley (65), Donnchadh Walsh for Sean O’Shea (65), Barry John Keane for Kevin McCarthy (65)

Cathal Sweeney Web

Cathal Sweeney on the ball

Cul Camps 2018


Goals from Cian Connolly and Brian Stack in each half saw Kevin McStay lead Roscommon to their first Connacht title in seven years as they avenged last year’s 11-point final defeat with a classy showing at Pearse Stadium.
Roscommon dominated from the first minute and only allowed Galway brief moments of supremacy, while an ugly late brawl in injury-time saw Micheal Lundy and Damien Comer sent off and Paul Conroy black carded.
Roscommon’s goalscorer Connolly was also sent off when he earned a yellow card, but after his side claimed a first win over either Mayo or Galway since 2001 it mattered not a jot to the Roscommon supporters in the 18,287 crowd, who flooded onto the pitch at full-time.
In their semi-final romp against Leitrim, the Roscommon forwards showed they were in a rich vein of form and they showed their Galway markers the same class in the early stages.
Ciaráin Murtagh pointed the first score of the game exactly a minute into the action, and with huge pressure on the Galway kickouts, Diarmuid Murtagh doubled the lead, before an off-the-ball foul by Declan Kyne on Connolly saw Ciaráin Murtagh on target again.
It was a rampant start from last year’s runners-up, but Galway finally made an impact on the scoreboard when Shane Walsh slotted a free from the ground following a foul on Damien Comer, who was double-marked any time the ball came in his direction.
The success that the Roscommon inside forward line were having continued though and they reeled off three points in two minutes – a free each from the two Murtagh brothers and a fine long range effort from Conor Devaney from distance in the 12th minute.
While Roscommon had a handful of in-form forwards Walsh was Galway’s sole threat and he curled over a love point to make to 0-06 to 0-02 after 14 minutes.
But, crucially, the next score came to Roscommon. It was Diarmuid Murtagh that picked out Connolly, isolated inside on his marker Cathal Sweeney, and Connolly’s finish to the net was controlled as he rolled the ball into the bottom corner for a seven-point lead after 14 minutes.
As the weather conditions worsened, so too did the quality of football on show. There was little sympathy from referee David Gough either, who fired out five yellow cards before the interval – some of them were very questionable.
Nine minutes from the interval, Galway came within the width of the post to a goal of their own when Michael Daly found himself on the end of a slick move, but after Diarmuid Murtagh’s third point, Walsh’s second free meant a 1-07 to 0-03 lead was Roscommon’s at half-time.
Nine first-half wides were a blight on Roscommon’s opening 35 and when Walsh and Comer added two quick points for the home side that slack shooting was punished.
But, six minutes after the break, Roscommon struck for a second goal. A mark was awarded to Brian Stack when he claimed a Galway kickout, but he continued on his powerful run, which ended in controlled finish low to Ruairi Lavelle’s right.
That goal put Roscommon 2-08 to 0-05 ahead and Galway looked dead and buried, but an impressive five points in four minutes saw Galway pull within four points.
But three of the next four scores were kicked by Roscommon to settle their nerves and it was left to sub Shane Killoran to kick the last point as McStay’s men claimed the title for the first time since 2010.
Roscommon: C Lavin; D Murray, N McInerney, S McDermott; C Devaney (0-02), S Mullooly, J McManus; T O’Rourke, E Smith; F Cregg, N Kilroy, B Stack (1-00); C Murtagh (0-03, 0-02f), D Murtagh (0-05, 0-03f), C Connolly (1-01).
Subs used: G Patterson for Murray (35+1-half-time blood), I Kilbride for Cregg (48 mins), D Smith (0-02, 0-01f) for D Murtagh (53 inj.), Colin Compton for C Murtagh (65), R Stack for Kilroy (70), S Killoran (0-01) for B Stack (75).
Galway: R Lavelle; C Sweeney, D Kyne, E Kerin; G O’Donnell (0-01), G Bradshaw, L Silke; P Conroy (0-02, 0-01f), F Ó Curraoin; T Flynn, E Brannigan, J Heaney; M Daly (0-01), D Comer (0-02), S Walsh (0-06, 0-04f).
Subs used: G Sice for Heaney (half-time), D Cummins for Brannigan (half-time), M Lundy for Flynn (60), E Tierney for Ó Curraoin (65), D Wynne for Conroy (75 BC).
Referee: David Gough (Meath).